[fedora-arm] Trying to run Fedora 22 on MicroZed

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:13:44 UTC 2015

Hi Eric,

Sorry about the delayed response.

> I just tried using the Xilinx FSBL as supplied by Avnet for the
> MicroZed. It turns out that the Xilinx FSBL (boot.bin, which the Zynq
> ROM loads) apparently is u-boot, reporting as "U-Boot 2013.01-dirty
> (Jun 14 2013 - 16:25:48)".  The information from a Xilinx document
> stating that the boot.bin size limit is 192KB is apparently incorrect,
> or I've misinterpreted it, because the boot.bin is actually 325,912
> bytes. However, it has some sort of header necessary for the ROM to
> recognize it, and it appears to have quite a bit of special Zynq init
> code that may not be in upstream U-boot.

So I suspect the 192Kb is the max size of the SPL (Secondary Program
Loader). The PPL doesn't have the ability to initialise main memory so
it loads the SPL into the 192Kb of sram and it's then the job of the
the SPL to initialise main memory plus anything else needed to load a
proper u-boot with full functionality.

Looking at upstream, see the following link, it looks like upstream
now has enough so we now don't need the custom bits. This is now in
the 2015.07rc2 build that's in rawhide.

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=95b237ecbced8ca120c37cc284c4b2feeec8ed57

> When I get to the Xilinx FSBL's u-boot prompt, I've tried loading the
> Fedora 22 kernel and ramdisk from
> Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-22-3-sda.raw.xz, and the rawhide uboot-images
> MicroZed DTB, and it says:
>

> Error: unrecognized/unsupported device tree compatible list:
> [ 'xlnx,zynq-microzed' 'xlnx,zynq-7000' ]
>
> Available machine support:
>
> ID (hex)    NAME
> ffffffff    ARM-Versatile Express
> 000008e0    ARM-Versatile Express
> 00000d32    Xilinx Zynq Platform
>

> I'm surprised that the Fedora 22 Fedora-Minimal-armhfp-22-3 image's
> kernel's list of available machine support is so short, That can't be
> right, can it?

Nope, it's not right. Looking at your link of the boot output it might
be actually loading a random other kernel:

zynq-uboot> bootm 0x3000000 0x2000000 0x2a00000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 03000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.8.0-xilinx

> Any idea what platform 00000d32 "Xilinx Zynq Platform" is actually
> for? Maybe a ZC702 or ZC706?

TBH no idea. I've never seen the above bits before. Could you grab the
new Fedora build of 2015.07rc2 and try it

The Fedora 22 kernel/initrd is:
uImage-4.0.4-301.fc22.armv7hl
uInitrd-4.0.4-301.fc22.armv7hl

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=646145