[fedora-arm] sata boot working, but not usb

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Mar 1 01:59:53 UTC 2015

When I first was testing the sata boot, I did not have the sata drive
connected properly, and I watched the system also try to scan usb.  So I
thought, that maybe usb boot was also enabled.  I powered down and did
the sata test successfully.

So this evening I put the partitions on an IDE drive connected via a USB
adapter.  The drive is rated at .5A, and works fine on my notebook.  I
plugged it into my Cubietruck and as you will see below, the partitions
were found.  The USB adapter was plugged into the top USB port, and a
USB hub that has the keyboard and mouse were plugged into the lower USB
port.  I have a USB IDE enclosure that provides 1A (one of those with 2
USB male plugs, I can put the second into a USB powersupply) if you
think the failure was power related.  I really don't so won't try that
test unless asked. Bottom line is those of us with a SATA port have sata
boot.  Those without will have to at least keep the /boot partition on
the SD card to point to the USB drive.

Here is the console capture:

U-Boot SPL 2015.01 (Feb 07 2015 - 22:09:40)
DRAM: 2048 MiB
CPU: 960000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2

U-Boot 2015.01 (Feb 07 2015 - 22:09:40) Allwinner Technology

CPU:   Allwinner A20 (SUN7I)
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  2 GiB
MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Reserved 8192kB of RAM for Framebuffer.
HDMI connected.
Setting up a 1024x768 console.
In:    serial
Out:   vga
Err:   vga
SCSI:  SUNXI SCSI INIT
SATA link 0 timeout.
AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 1 ports 3 Gbps 0x1 impl SATA mode
flags: ncq stag pm led clo only pmp pio slum part ccc apst
Net:   dwmac.1c50000
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
** Invalid partition 1 **
scanning bus for devices...
Found 0 device(s).

SCSI device 0:
     Device 0: not available
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
USB1:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found

USB device 0: unknown device
dwmac.1c50000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete.... done
Speed: 100, full duplex
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
BOOTP broadcast 3
BOOTP broadcast 4
BOOTP broadcast 5
DHCP client bound to address 192.168.96.63 (4004 ms)
*** Warning: no boot file name; using 'C0A8603F.img'
Using dwmac.1c50000 device
TFTP from server 0.0.0.0; our IP address is 192.168.96.63; sending
through gateway 192.168.96.1