[fedora-arm] u-boot plans for Fedora 22 ?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 11:17:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 03/21/2015 02:49 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Saturday, March 21, 2015 03:40:20 PM Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 21-03-15 15:21, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I noticed that -rc4 has also been build, so I've given that a test-run
>>> on sunxi instead:
>>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=622061
>>>
>>>   From a sunxi pov this build looks good.
>> I have to take this back, it seems that this build is appending:
>>
>> " console=ttyS0,115200"
>>
>> To the kernel cmdline, I've just double-checked and this is not upstream
>> behavior, is this being done by Fedora specific patches ?
>>
>> This breaks kernel output and systemd status messages output on
>> tty0 / the hdmi output, resulting in a blackscreen until gdm
>> starts.
>>
>> As discussed a while back, the proper way to do is set
>> stdout-path in the devicetree to the serial console, then the
>> kernel will automatically make it a second console, next to tty0
>> and output messages on both, and systemd will output messages
>> and spawn gettys on both too.
>>
>> Upstream u-boot is already setting stdout-path for all sunxi
>> devices, so from a sunxi pov the appending of " console=ttyS0,115200"
>> is a regression. If this is done for some other boards, it would
>> be better to either patch those boards dts files to set stdout-path,
>> or u-boot to set stdout-path rather then appending " console=ttyS0,115200"
>> and breaking video output. If you can tell me which specific boards
>> need work here I can whip up a patch (for others to test).
 >
> I suspect that no other boards are doing so, I was not aware that you had
> gotten that upstream yet.

For sunxi I've added a patch to u-boot which patches it into the dts as
u-boot loads the dts, u-boot already has infrastructure / code for
this, so it is just setting a single #define in include/configs/<board.h>,
see:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commitdiff;h=f3133962f469a8b6b9ba237ba670f0ca7c88a02e

And there are also plans for sunxi to just outright add it to the dts files
as shipped with the kernel, so that it will also work with older u-boot
versions.

 > we will need to drop the patch that automatically
> adds the console from u-boot. every other system will need to be looked at.

Or wrap it in in #ifndef CONFIG_ARCH_SUNXI as an interim workaround,
TBH I was a bit surprised that we're carrying such a patch as what
to exactly put on the cmdline differs per board (the ttyS0 name is
not the same everywhere), or are you using the 'console' env
variable for this ?

Anyways at a minimum please wrap the patch automatically adding the
console= argument in #ifndef CONFIG_ARCH_SUNXI

Note that using stdout-path on devices which have hdmi (or similar video)
out is better because it gives a kernel console on both the hdmi and
the serial port, either way let me know if you need any help with this.

Regards,

Hans