mock goals and non-goals

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Thu May 11 16:05:51 UTC 2006

Thanks for the valuable and constructive feedback. I was just testing
the limits, as I have a mildly complex build environment that I am
trying to set up and manage. Looks like I will be investigating plague a
bit more.

> So, with regard to the patches we've seen so far here's what
> makes sense to me:
> - global/shared config to reduce the replication in the mock configs
> - specifying multiple srpms on the command line for a SINGLE
> config - provided that the buildroot is refreshed/cleaned
> each time - unless, of course, the --no-clean option is passed in

I will refresh my patch from yesterday to do this and resend. Doing it
this way is a one line change.

> - caching mechanism to create a cached pristine chroot that
> will allow for quickly recreating the chroot into that state
> simply by putting that cached copy back.

I will dig out the patch from the archives and test/resend (though I am
not the original author). I have 5 RPMS I build across 16 configs. With
clean, this takes about 5 hours. With single clean/init to set up the
environment and --no-clean for each individual RPM, that reduces the
time to 45-mins to an hour.

> Patches that don't make sense to me:
> - multiconfig - this is what shells and/or plague is for, use
> one of them.

Secret message received and understood. :)

> - parallel builds - plague is your friend.

Ditto.

Thanks,
Michael