A few Pungi questions

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 15:07:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 10:26 +0100, Peter Åstrand wrote:
> >> * Why and when was %end introduced?
> >
> >python upgrade, at f7 you must not have it, in f8 python you need %end
>
> F7 has Python 2.5.0 while F8 has Python 2.5.1. Is this what you are
> referring to? This seems very strange to me.
>
> Or are you perhaps referring to pykickstart?

It is pykickstart, not python in general.

> I have yet another question: I've found out about the %ksappend. How is
> this different from %include?

ksappend takes a url and is a one-shot.  %include allows for some
nesting and is generally more flexible.  Realistically, we should
probably deprecate the use of %ksappend in favor of %include

> The lack of KS documentation is problematic. I've found
> /usr/share/doc/pykickstart-1.19/kickstart-docs.txt, but it only contains
> "Page AnacondaKickstart not found.". After some Googling, I found
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2007-September/msg00032.html
> which refers to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaKickstart, which
> doesn't exist any more. But
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart seems quite nice, and it
> explains %end, although %ksappend is still not documented.

That's the right page.  Unfortunately, the pages got moved around
without a heads-up to some package maintainers, so our automated
grabbing of the docs into the packages failed :(

> The page above says "The %packages section should be closed with %end,
> though this is not yet required.". Is this true for F8?

Yes.  And realistically, it'll be a while before it's required just due
to the fact that there's a lot of legacy to support.  But using it is an
incredibly good idea and it allows you to do some cool things such as
config inheritance.  For example, you can have one kickstart config with
all of your site default configs.  Then, you can have a machine specific
config which %include's the default ks.cfg.  Without %end, you can only
really do %post, %packages, etc in one of the configs -- with it, you
can easily have any of them in both and have consistent parsing of the
state.

Jeremy