corrupt rpmdb in mock-chroot

Paul B Schroeder paul.schroeder at bluecoat.com
Sat May 31 23:04:29 UTC 2008

Hello all...

On my x86_64 (CentOS 5.1) system I use mock to init an i386 chroot for
both Fedora 8 and CentOS 5.1.  The init appears to work fine, but when I
drop into a mock-shell for either F8 or CentOS my rpm database is
corrupt on both accounts:

mock-chroot> rpm -qa
rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
environment version mismatch
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Rebuilding the rpm database seems to fix this, but it's a pain to be
sure.  Any ideas as to why I'm seeing this corruption when creating an
i386 mock chroot from a x86_64 system?

Also, FYI, when I do this for x86_64 chroots or if I do this from my
i386 CentOS system, the rpm database does not get corrupt.

Thanks...Paul...