buildcapacity - # of builders

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Feb 26 15:03:31 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010 07:03:33 am Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 01:02 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > On 02/26/2010 12:43 PM, Doug Reiland wrote:
> >> Does it make any sense of run more one builder on a system or do you
> >> just control via host.capacity in the database?
> >
> > You don't want more then one builder per node. You may want multiple
> > nodes on one hardware box through virtualization, but each node would
> > still only have one koji-builder.
> >
> > You control the amount of labour the host can/may/will do through
> > host.capacity in the psql database, as well as the maxjobs setting in
> > /etc/kojid/kojid.conf (maximum 5 parallel jobs by default).
>
> Also note that new tasks won't be taken up by the koji-builder if the
> load average of the node is 8.00 or greater (I don't recall having
> modified that setting ever before).

that is not true.  the sparc builders have a capacity of 16 and regularly hit
max capacity. they also regullary have a load of 30-40

this is the code that limits task takeup by system load  its 4x the number of
cpus  so a quad core system can go to a load of 16 before it wont take on new
tasks

        loadavgs = os.getloadavg()
        # this likely treats HT processors the same as real ones
        # but that's fine, it's a conservative test
        maxload = 4.0 * os.sysconf('SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN')
        if loadavgs[0] > maxload:
            self.status = "Load average %.2f > %.2f" % (loadavgs[0], maxload)
            self.logger.info(self.status)
            return False