Cleaning scratch & work directories

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sat Jan 22 01:37:59 UTC 2011

On 01/20/2011 05:31 PM, Mike McLean wrote:
> On 01/20/2011 05:05 PM, Anthony Messina wrote:
>> > I'm continuing work a on a private Koji instance (Kerberos) and am now
>> > working on automating cleanup, etc.
>> >
>> > It is mentioned here
>> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/buildsys/2010-December/003415.html
>> > that "Koji leaves it to the administrator to clean out the scratch build
>> > directory."
>> >
>> > Is there anything special about cleaning up scratch builds or the
>> > work/{cli-build,cli-import,tasks} directories for that matter?
>> >
>> > Do I need to interact with the Koji database in any way to let koji know
>> > these files are gone? What I mean is, can I simply remove the files and
>> > directories without any Koji integration?
> The contents of work and scratch are not tracked in the database. The
> mechanism I use is a simple cron job that simply looks at modification
> times.
>
> The main things you want to watch out for is deleting things too early.
> Scratch builds aren't much use to anyone if you delete them before the
> builder gets a chance to poke at them. The work directory is used as a
> temporary holding zone by some tasks, so you don't want to delete stuff
> out from under a running task. A reasonable time-based check is
> sufficient to avoid this.
>
> In my koji instance we keep content under work/ for two weeks and
> content under scratch/ for one week.
>
> Using tmpwatch is a another possibility. I believe it looks at access
> times by default.

Thank you very much for your help.  With that assistance, I've scraped
together a "koji-maint" script & RPM that might be helpful for us
small-timers to automate Koji maintenance and mash repo creation:

http://messinet.com/rpms/browser/koji-maint

Feedback is welcome!  Again, thanks!  -A

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E