Running mash in Koji

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 18:23:20 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 12:38 AM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dennis Gilmore has been talking for some time about how he'd like to run
> Mash in Koji tasks, instead of the set of scripts releng currently uses.
>
> So I started working on this, and I got to the point where it actually
> works, but I have a few questions before I can finish it and submit the
> patches.
>
> 1. What would be an appropriate weight for this new task?
>
> At the moment I'm just using the default, but given that mashing can be
> quite intensive, it might be better to increase that. I have no idea on
> what would be the right number, though.

We use 1.5 for createrepo, so probably higher than that, but probably
not much higher. Maybe 2? You can always tune that value later.

> 2. What would be the appropriate permissions to run this task?
>
> Right now, the task requires the user to be an admin. Should I introduce
> a new 'mash' permission? Is there an existing 'releng' permission I
> should use?

That really depends on intended usage. I don't see a permission similar
to 'releng' in koji.fp.o, but adding new perms is easy.

> 3. What to do with the output?
>
> Mash will create the repositories for all configured architectures,
> corresponding to a certain Koji tag.
>
> As such, its output is much bigger that, say, a build task.
>
> The task could upload everything back to the Hub, but that could take a
> significant time and might hammer the Hub?
>
> Dennis was saying that another possibility was to mount /mnt/koji as
> read-write on the builder, and inside the chroot, so that the task could
> write its output directly there.
>
> What would be the preferred option?

The createrepo tasks upload their generated repodata to the hub.
Uploading is much less intensive for the hub since the fast_upload
patches went in.

I recommend avoiding rw mounts in the builders if you can.