docker-rpm-builder stable released - build native RPMs through docker

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Fri Feb 6 17:24:20 UTC 2015

Hello,
I had given a shot to this project some months ago; after a bit of
refactoring, it's now usable.

(to the Fedora/Redhat people: if you feel I'm hijacking this ml with
my announcements, just let me know; since it's a low-traffic ml and
highly relevant to the topic, I thought it the best place where to
place such announcements)

https://github.com/alanfranz/docker-rpm-builder

RPM packages for Centos/RHEL and Fedora are available now.

Key features:

- fast RPM building without chroot unpacking/file copy/etc
- templating support for specfiles
- interactive mode when a build fails
- build straight from a directory without an intermediate source RPM
(optional: you can still rebuild a .src.rpm)
- works on any host Linux distro that supports docker and has Python 2.7
- leverages existing RPM toolchain, you don't need to learn a new language
- root filesystem is fully writeable during the build

If anybody happens to try it, let me know what you think about it.
I'll be doing a few benchmarks in the next weeks.

Bye!

--
My development blog: ollivander.franzoni.eu . @franzeur on Twitter
contact me at public@[mysurname].eu