Fedora Campus Ambassadors -- Where we are at and where we are going

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sun Apr 11 01:24:27 UTC 2010

Hello one and all,

Me again :) I just wanted to let everyone know where Campus Ambassadors
will be going in the future, based on the discussion we had on the list a
week or two back, along with some informal talk with Mel Chua as well and
others.

First of all, Campus Ambassadors will be a subset of the full fledged
Fedora Ambassadors program. As such, each Campus Ambassador will have to
go through the mentoring process that all other ambassadors need to go
through to be admitted into the program. This is outlined at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Join . We feel that it would be
beneficial for everyone involved if the Campus Ambassadors were trained as
ambassadors not only because they would have the same access to the full
resources of their region's ambassador program, but because they will also
better have the knowledge of what we are. This includes knowledge and
interest in upholding our Four Foundations, promoting Fedora properly at
Events and other important things. I am going to talk to FAmSCo to see if
anything could happen to make it easier for our campus ambassadors to
join, whether it is campus ambassador-specific mentors, or something else.

Secondly, since we are a subset of the Ambassador program, this list will
primarily be used for planning events in campuses, discussing what works
on campuses, what does not. We will not start out with a "Here is what you
do to make you campus a successful campus for Fedora," but we will embrace
the ideas of a meritocracy; you tell us what works, document what you did
on the wiki, and eventually we will have a set of ideas on what works, and
what does not. There is no way to really plan ahead and document what
people should be doing, as most situations need to be planned when they
happen based on the many variables of "where I am in the student
population (freshman in college, grad student, etc)" "size of school"
"pre-existing Linux/Fedora footprint" ETC.

I will be documenting all of this on the wiki tonight. If you have applied
for the campus ambassador group, and you are not a member of the
Ambassadors group in Fedora Account System, I will be mailing you offlist
tonight.

Thanks!
Ryan Rix

--