[fedora-classroom] Class Duration

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Sun May 17 10:03:46 UTC 2009

When I started this thread it was based only on my impression from the
small sample of classroom sessions I had attended.

So I thought it might be more objective to collect a data set from the
logs at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Classroom.

The summary below shows that in the total sample of 26
nominal-60-minute classes on the wiki, there was nearly always time
pressure between presentation and questions, and only 6 occasions when
there was more than 5 minutes for final questions.

And again I'd like to congratulate everyone involved who I think did a
great job. I'm just suggesting the task might be easier if they werent
trying to fit a great presentation plus great interactive questions
into a 60 minute slot on IRC.

I suggest classes be scheduled at minimum 90 minute intervals, based
on approx 45 min presentation, 30 min questions, and 15 min break.

---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Beginners_guide_to_getting_involved_(2008-11-08)_classroom
@ 59 mins:
	stickster: Wow, my time is nearly up here
	stickster: I hope this has been a helpful introduciton
	@nirik 	Ineluctable: excellent. Feel free to find me after the
sessions are over.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugzilla_Introduction_(2008-11-08_classroom)
@ 54 mins:
	* nirik sees about 8 min left. Perhaps time for some Q&A?
(>5 mins for final questions)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassador_Tips_and_Training_(2008-12-06_classroom)
@ 60 mins:
	spevack: I've covered everything that I had jotted down in my notes
prior to this session. i'm happy to answer questions or general
comments for the next 10 minutes or so
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Features_(2009-02-08_classroom)
@ 55 mins:
	jds2001: I think I'm almost out of time here.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Ambassador_Tips_(20090503_Classroom)
@ 58 mins:
	spevack: ok, our hour is almost up. We can continue to chat for a
bit, but I wanted to thank you all for coming to today's class, which
is "officially" over, but the "unofficial" conversation can still go
on :)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Trademarks_(20090307_classroom)
@ 58 mins:
	* stickster asks herlo and nirik for possibly 3-5 extra minutes just in case
	* nirik notes just a few minutes left, but we can go over a bit no problem. :)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_i18n_(2009-02-08_classroom)
@ 61 mins:
	juhp: ok I am into overtime now...
	juhp: but if you have any questions feel free to ask
@ 88 mins:
	finish.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firewall_Basics_(2008-11-09_classroom)
@ 57 mins:
	* nirik sees we are out of time. Happy to answer more questions in
#fedora or the like...
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging_fonts_in_Fedora_(2008-12-07_classroom)
@ 60 mins:
	nirik: nim-nim: since we are almost out of time... where can people
find more info and get involved? the fedora-fonts list?
	nim-nim: nirik: I still have 15min, no?
	nirik: nim-nim: yeah, although we had time as a break between
sessions... so folks could go get a cup of coffee, etc... ;)
	nim-nim: nirik: it's a no-coffee session :p
	nirik: No worries. :)
@ 74 mins:
	nim-nim: do anyone has a remaining questin?
	nim-nim: you have 15min to sneak in more font questions :p
@ 84 mins:
	finish.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Gimp_Tricks_(2008-12-07_classroom)
@ 61 mins:
	mizmo: sorry i ran over a bit
	mizmo: does anyone have any questions?
@ 75 mins:
	finish.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Bug_Triage_(2008-12-06_classroom)
@ 41 mins:
	jds2001: any questions?
@ 51 mins:
	jds2001: I've only got about 10 minutes left here, any other
questions or should I wrap it up?
	@nirik:	 how can one find bugs to tirage? 	 14:22
	@nirik:	and what areas are in most need? 	14:22
	jds2001: oof, completely missed that.
@ 58 mins:
	finish.
(>5 mins for final questions)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Mock_(20090308_Classroom)
@ 51 mins:
	@nirik: ok, I think thats about all I was hoping to cover...
(>5 mins for final questions)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduction_to_bash_shell_scripting_(20090307_classroom)
@ 60 mins:
	* nirik notes we are at 19:15 UTC now. ;) Feel free to go over, but
do provide some break time before the next class. ;)
	StabbyMc_: nirik, thanks, I should be able to wrap up in another 5-10
mins :-)
@ 72 mins:
	StabbyMc_: You're all welcome, sorry we ran out of time :-)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduction_to_libvirt_(20090503_Classroom)
@ 60 mins:
	@nirik: ok, anyone have any further questions? or shall we wrap things up?
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE4_for_KDE3_Users_(2008-12-06_classroom)
@ 54 mins:
	rdieter: anyway, we're running short on time, any last thoughts,
comments, questions, before we end ?
(>5 mins for final questions)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Creating_Logical_Volumes_(2008-12-06_Classroom)
@ 52 mins:
	herlo: any questoins?
@ 62 mins:
	herlo: any other questions?
	herlo: k, guess not. Thanks all
(>5 mins for final questions)
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Taxonomy_and_Techniques_(2008-11-08_classroom)
@ 66 mins:
	ivazquez: Not quite done yet, but I understand if you have other things to do.
@ 71 mins:
	ivazquez: Does anyone have any questions?]
@ 76 mins:
	finish.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl_Basics_(20090307_classroom)
@ 70 mins:
	fozzmoo: I'll end there...
@ 75 mins:
	fozzmoo: Thanks all for attending. Good questions.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Configuration_Mgmt_using_Puppet_(2008-11-09_classroom)
@ 64 mins:
	nirik: shall we wrap up and let kanarip get some sleep?
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Creating_Fedora_Remix_(2008-11-09_classroom)
@ 59 mins:
	* nirik notes we have no class in this next timeslot, so if kanarip
wants to keep answering questions he can feel free to do so. :)
@ 62 mins:
	finish.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux_Basics_(2008-11-08_classroom)
@ 56 mins:
	herlo: so I'm out of material and it looks like out of time
	herlo: any questions about this process?
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/The_4_key_causes_of_SELinux_errors_(20090503_Classroom)
@ 80 mins:
	finish.
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Training_and_Tips_for_Fedora_Ambassadors_(20090307_classroom)
@ 59 mins:
	spevack: our time is up in 40 seconds
	spevack: but we'll move to #fedora-ambassadors to continue
---------------------------------------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Understanding_RPM_(2009-02-08_classroom)
@ 61 mins:
	herlo: any other questions?