[fedora-classroom] Extending the fedora classroom to be more than just planned classroom sessions

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 5 22:43:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 19:59:07 +0530
Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As the subject says, I'm interested in extending the fedora-classroom
> project.

...snip...

> While my initial thought was just to shamelessly copy gnome and start
> fedora-love (I even drafted a proposal[3]), I realized that we already
> have the fedora-classroom project in place. We have an IRC channel
> too. The intention of this sub-project is to teach the community. I
> was wondering what you folks felt about making this the first point of
> contact for potential contributors? Of course, we'll get in more
> people from the SIGs who are interested in seeing what new talent
> walks in and stuff. What do you folks think about "extending the
> fedora classroom to be more than just planned classroom sessions"?
> It's quite a face change really :)

Well, I'm not sure it's too good a fit name/mission wise.
I think of classrooms as more "here's a teacher and here's a lesson"
rather than a 'here's a place you can find out more about where to go
and what to do'

> One of the questions that you'd probably ask is: what's wrong with
> folks just joining up the various mailing lists and getting started?
> Quite a bit:
> 1. A lot of new contributors aren't sure of what sig they'd like to
> start in. IMO, it would be helpful if some of the community were
> available to guide them and help them make a decision
> 2. The various mailing lists are dedicated to work. They're not really
> meant for mentoring purposes. We wouldn't like a flood of potential
> contributors emailing the lists asking for guidance.
> 3. We also have askfedora and the user mailing lists. However, I feel
> these are dedicated to troubleshooting.

I agree.

> So, what d'ya folks think? :)

Well, I wonder if this couldn't be more a 'fedora welcome' or
'information desk' or something. I guess it doesn't matter what it's
called...

Basically a place we could point anyone who says they want to give back
and join up, then they could ask questions and get an idea of where to
go and who to talk to before just wandering around.

I like the idea, but not sure how much it overlaps with classrooms.

kevin