OpenStack status

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 12:32:35 UTC 2011

Hey,

It's been a while since I've done one of these, so I'll start with the
bigger items since the last report:

  - OpenStack was approved as a Fedora 16 Feature and F-16 itself was
    released

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OpenStack

  - Diablo was released upstream and this was what was included in F-16

      http://wiki.openstack.org/ReleaseNotes/Diablo

  - A number of us attended the Essex Design Summit in Boston. A really
    worthwhile event with lots of very productive discussions.

  - At the design summit, it was agreed to start maintaining a stable
    branch with important fixes backported from the development branch.
    This is now up and running:

       http://wiki.openstack.org/StableBranch

  - We held a Test Day with a nice set of test cases that can still be
    used by anyone who wishes to test OpenStack in Fedora:

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-10-20_OpenStack_Test_Day

    Many thanks to everyone who turned up!

  - Thanks to the awesome work of Miroslav Grepl and Bob Kukura, we got
    SELinux policy for Nova in time for the Test Day:

      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/734346

  - The "getting started" wiki page has been further extended and
    includes instructions on using MySQL, adding a separate compute node
    and fully cleaning up an OpenStack install:

      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_OpenStack_Nova

  - Worth noting is that folks have been successfully testing OpenStack
    in a VM by adding "--libvirt_type=qemu" to nova.conf

  - Pádraig Brady, David Busby and others have been making good
    progress on getting OpenStack into (and working on) EPEL6

  - Swift hasn't yet been updated in F-16 to the Diablo version, but
    David Nalley has posted some test packages here:

      http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2011-November/000937.html

  - Keystone was packaged, reviewed and added to F-16 and EPEL6:

      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/735179

    It should work fine with Diablo's Nova, Swift and Glance. However,
    no-one was done any serious testing of it in Fedora yet or provided
    test cases and/or howto instructions.

  - An issue with python-greenlet on i686 which was causing Nova to
    segfault has been fixed:

      https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2011-15311

  - Support for Fedora's iSCSI tgtadm (as opposed to ietadm) was added
    upstream and backported in Fedora:

      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/737046

    Thanks to Dave Malcolm and Pádraig Brady for sorting this one!

  - A nasty IPv6/dnsmasq issue was fixed:

      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/737015

  - A RabbitMQ update broke things for a while, but a new version was
    pushed:

      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/738067

  - Nova switched to github/gerrit upstream, so no more bzr!

  - Upstream are now developing against SQLAlchemy 0.7.2 (the version
    in Fedora) which should mean we see less of the types of
    compatibility issues we've seen in the past:

      https://review.openstack.org/708

  - Upstream's install_venv.py tool for developers now works correctly
    on Fedora, which should make it easier to work on OpenStack
    upstream using Fedora

  - Discussions have started around how an OpenStack Foundation should
    be governed. I did my best to argue that it should be governed by
    representatives of the contributor base rather than appointed
    representatives of the sponsoring companies:

      http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2011-October/000032.html
      http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation/2011-October/000036.html

  - Vish, the Nova maintainer, announced a big bunch of "subteams"
    upstream. If you want to subscribe to 10 more mailing lists, here's
    your chance :-)

      https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg04839.html

  - On the Orchestration sub-team, Fedora's Andrew Beekhof has proposed
    the use of Pacemaker Policy Engine by Nova's scheduler:

      http://www.mail-archive.com/nova-orchestration@lists.launchpad.net/msg00005.html

  - Richard Jones suggested we use a "supermin" appliance in order to
    provide Fedora images for use with OpenStack:

      http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2011-October/000874.html

  - Michal Fojtik added OpenStack support to Deltacloud:

      http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-deltacloud-dev/201110.mbox/%3C1318862601-3239-1-git-send-email-mfojtik@redhat.com%3E

Cheers,
Mark.