OpenStack status

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 12:33:58 UTC 2011

Hey,

And updates specifically from the past week or so:

   - We had some discussion about how to improve communication between
     everyone working on OpenStack in Fedora and encourage more folks to
     help out:

       http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2011-November/000956.html

   - An "Open Source Cloud and Virtualization" dev room has been
     announced for FOSDEM in Brussels on Feb 4-5th:

       http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2011-November/000954.html

   - A big openstack-nova update was pushed with ~20 significant
     updates from the upstream stable branch:

       https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2011-15887

   - Pádraig has continued the work on EPEL6 and posted an update:

       http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2011-November/000970.html

       The current status is that I have nova and glance services
       running and passing very basic tests. I'm using 2 packages not
       yet in EPEL though.

         python-webob: 0.9.6 in RHEL6.2, 1.0.8 in F1[56]
         python-sqlalchemy: 0.5.5 in RHEL6.2, 0.6.8 in F15

   - Bob Kukura has been working on packaging Diablo's Quantum and will
     post a package for review soon. This has been complicated by the
     fact that Quantum in Essex has undergone major changes to make it
     easier to package.

   - Russell Bryant has been looking into how we might go about
     running OpenStack with Apache Qpid rather than RabbitMQ.

   - Alan Pevec is preparing a keystone update based on the latest
     upstream stable branch. He has also been debugging various issues
     with keystone.

   - Cole Robinson has been working on getting Dashboard running on
     Fedora and has also run into keystone issues.

   - I hit an issue with attaching a volume to an instance running on a
     remote compute node:

       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/752709

     There's a fix proposed in gerrit which can be pulled into Fedora.

   - There's been a little bit more progress on making Nova use
     libguestfs:

       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/734727

     Rich and Pádraig are working up a plan. Also, Andrey from Grid
     Dynamics pointed out that we actually really need this for EPEL6
     since the nbd kernel driver isn't supported on RHEL6.

   - Rich also posted an analysis of Nova's file injection code:

       https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2011-November/msg00027.html

   - Derek Higgins got a fix merged upstream to have an instance's
     "managed save" image removed when the VM is undefined:

       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/740456

   - The weird AMQP issue we saw once or twice during the test day has
     undergone serious debugging by folks upstream, but the root cause
     hasn't been identified yet:

       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/747568

   - Russell took a look at the "database is locked" errors we see with
     sqlite and concluded that using SQLite is probably hopeless and we
     should switch to MySQL by default:

       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/735012

Cheers,
Mark.