user-data via CDROM

jvlcek jvlcek at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 15:59:55 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 10:06 AM, Shahar Havivi wrote:
> On 16.12.12 17:04, Dennis Gregorovic wrote:

>>> Found it in the common channel,
>>> I have a problem installing it because I get glibc-common dependency
>>> mismatch...
>>> Is there other channel that I need my host to be register to?
>> You probably need the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Beta channel as
>> well.
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- Dennis
> Thanks Dennis!
> I manage to install the cloud-init in Rhel 6.4
> The hostname can be set via nocloud CDROM but not the ip or the mac address.
> also cloud init try for 5 minutes to call for this address:
> url_helper.py[WARNING]: Calling 'http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id' failed [0/120s]: http error [404]
> which for my understanding it shouldn't because I try to config it via the
> drive (CDROM in this case).
>
> When I try to set it via openstack, I use the "config-2" label in the CDROM
> and set json file at this path:
> openstack/latest/meta-data.json
>
> at the log I am getting the line:
> [CLOUDINIT] DataSourceAltCloud.py[DEBUG]: cloud_type: UNKNOWN
> which indicate that its not recognize the the type (openstack).
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

The data source: "DataSourceAltCloud" can only be used to pass in
"user-data" and it only
supports cloud types: EC2, RHEVm and vSphere.

What cloud back-end are you running on?

I  thought you stated you are using the data source: "nocloud".

cloud-init functionality can be configured a bit using it's
configuration file. You might want
to experiment to make sure all the functionality you want is enabled in it.
For reference, the upstream version can be viewed here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~cloud-init-dev/cloud-init/trunk/view/head:/config/cloud.cfg

The warning  from url_helper.py seems to indicate the ec2 style
meta-data is not
available. I'm not sure why. You might want to  post a description of
your set-up
and ask about this warning upstream at: cloud-init at lists.launchpad.net

Joe