future of Boxgrinder ... building cloud images

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Dec 18 17:38:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012, David Busby wrote:

> I think you'll find it hard to get any traction here kickstarts especially
> in the "cloud front" are used increasingly less in favour of bootstrapping
> an instance with  puppet / chef for provisioning above and beyond the base
> os.

well known, but the non-idempotent, and 'successive
approximation' nature of such solutions converging to a
configuration makes such tools less compelling than a
using kickstart against a 'repoclosed' universe of packages.

I am interested in the building of 'base JEOS' images to our
virtualization service, that are then handed off as 'gold
masters' for clinets who THEN inject their certificates, keys
and credentials.  There are of course security and liability
implications in releasing images keyed to masters not known to
the end user, and kickstart solves them well, and the devops
tools less well

> The tdl format is somewhat of a stop gap between kickstarts and fully
> fledged provisioning I have found, and a good project providing many
> example tdls is the Aeolus project: http://www.aeolusproject.org/

I am generally aware of it as a project, and I think follow a
blog on the matter, but not a  mailing list.  I'll remedy that
and read for a bit.  But packaging Ruby has been a 'bear' and
seemed to be 'not well solved' yet. I have no aversion to Ruby
-- we use it on a project internally -- but adding random
'gems' not well understood as to versioning and security
model, is troubling

-- Russ herrold