cloud Digest, Vol 36, Issue 24

Sam Kottler skottler at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 20:25:52 UTC 2012

I agree with what Tim said. You don't need to rebuild images every time there is a change to the configuration management system, but it will drastically reduce the time required to build a new host if the starting point is close to the final, built machine. I've talked to a number of organizations that do weekly automated rebuilds of their "golden images" so their configuration might drift over the week, but old and new hosts (with their subsequent base images) will be in the exact same state because the entirety of their desired state is in CM.

-Sam