F16 AMI start-up configuration

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 16 04:57:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Franck wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out where the start-up configuration on this AMI
> is. I'm used to look at the rc.local file, where all the ec2
> initialization used to be, but here there is no such file anymore. I
> know, I could create the file and do whatever I was doing before, but
> I would prefer to do it the new way. For example, the hostname is set
> to the internal hostname. Where is it done now?

On a high level, the answer is that systemd calls cloud-init, which is
used in Fedora 16 AMIs to handle (among other things) taking the
instance metadata (like the ssh public key) and putting it in the right
place (~ec2-user/.ssh/authorized_keys).

You can see the results in /var/log/cloud-init.log

I'm poking around to find the exact place in the code where it handles
the ssh public key, but I haven't found it yet.  I'm sure someone else
will chime in with that piece of info.

--Max