F17 on AWS EC2

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 22:27:28 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 02:49 PM, Joseph VLcek wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade an AWS EC2 f16 to f17 following these
> instructions:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17
>
> I start with AMI:  ami-0316d86a as listed here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG/EC2_Images
>
> The instructions describe:
> "Change the following kernel commandline parameter directly in the
> bootloader menu, which
> is shown during bootup, or edit the line in /etc/grub*.cfg to remove
> ro and rhgb and append rw
> rd.info <http://rd.info> rd.convertfs enforcing=0"
>
> However /etc/grub*.cfg is empty:
> [root at domU-12-31-39-04-F1-72 etc]# file /etc/grub2.cfg
> /etc/grub2.cfg: symbolic link to `../boot/grub2/grub.cfg'
> [root at domU-12-31-39-04-F1-72 etc]# file ../boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> ../boot/grub2/grub.cfg: empty
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> How can one get a f17 EC2 instance?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
>
> Joe VLcek
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your note.

I think the main thing to note here is that the instructions you're
looking at aren't necessarily geared towards EC2 - EC2 has some subtle
differences (including around grub) that may be making these
instructions slightly incompatible for upgrading from F16 to F17 on EC2.

As you probably saw, the notes say that F17 isn't out yet - and that's
still the case, of course.  We're expecting F17 Alpha to land next week
on Tuesday (barring any unforeseen delays), and I expect that we'll be
uploading the F17 Alpha to EC2 as well.

In the interim, a few notes to everyone on list:

* Can someone more technical than me (that would be most readers of this
list, teehee) give a slightly better explanation or etc. as to what
might be going on here for Joe?

* Could someone perhaps look into the page referenced
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17
) and seeing about (a) if those steps *should* be compatible with EC2,
and (b) if not, figure out if we should have some sort of note on there
saying "this doesn't apply to EC2, please go $here ... and (c) figure
out the $here part? :D

-Robyn