cloud-init and F16

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 22 06:06:28 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-21 16:16, Aaron Bento wrote:
> I'm looking to provide some feedback on cloud-init and the F16 AMI's.
> I'm not sure the proper place to file the bug against. I'm attempting to
> place a simple shell script in user data to perform post-boot
> configuration. This fails since I'm unable to execute anything within
> user data. (I'm hoping eventually to use cloud-config syntax)

Please file cloud-init bugs against cloud-init.  :-)  Since it got into
F16 as a last-minute effort only the minimum amount functionality
necessary to make an EC2 image start actually works.  So the more bugs
we can root out on Fedora, the better.

> The cloud-init startup process (sometime after placing the ssh keys) at
> one point runs: /usr/bin/cloud-init-cfg all final During this stage,
> run-parts gets run to actually execute the downloaded user data. It
> fails with the following:
>
> CalledProcessError: Command '['run-parts', '--regex', '.*',
> '/var/lib/cloud/instance/scripts']
>
> The --regex flag is not accepted by the Fedora version of run-parts.
> Debian/Ubuntu both have a compiled binary of run-parts that accepts this
> flag.

I spoke with cloud-init's upstream maintainer about this a few days ago.
  AFAICT the ideal way to fix it is to stop using run-parts altogether
since it is only there as a holdover from when cloud-init was just a
shell script.  If this turns out to be impossible to fix in the near
future we will just have to carry a patch.