EC2 / F17 Alpha: BROKEN

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Feb 27 17:24:49 UTC 2012

El Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:48:14 -0700
Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> escribió:
> Apparently appliance-tools is not working properly.  This leads to
> either:
>
> * Cannot start doing updates for F17 until EC2 images are
> made/booting/working
> OR
> * No EC2 for F17 Alpha (because updates will be in, and EC2 F17 alpha
> would be different from Other Alphas)
>
> I'm recommending going with the latter option, simply because there
> is no criteria at all right now for making EC2 a blocker. Your (very
> immediate) thoughts are welcomed. I'm not particularly interested in
> slipping all of alpha after it met all of the shipping criteria and
> was announced to be shippable.
>
> Dennis, do you have a bug number for this (appliance-tools
> brokenness) yet?
>
> I'm open to future recommendations, including doing a test
> compose/upload of EC2 images so that we know this before we have a
> go/no-go meeting, at the bare minimum. Please feel free to pipe in. :D

The issues are this,

since f16 and f17 defaults to grub2 and ec2 needs a grub1 config file.
nothing is actually making the grub1 config file. probably what we
really need is to install grub2 so the image could be consumed outside
of ec2 but get a grub1 config file written out for ec2's use.  What i
think would be best long term is for ec2 to not use pvgrub. but i dont
think that will be a possibility.

adding the kickstart options that Dan posted last week resulted in
grub2 being installed but no grub1 config and it broke the upload
scripts.

Dennis