Status of openstack in f18?

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Thu Nov 8 06:59:56 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 08:58 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 08:19 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 07:25:08PM +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>>> what is the status of openstack in Fedora 18?
>>> The feature page doesn't describe how to get a working openstack
>>> installation going and the "openstack-demo-install" seems to run fine
>>> but results in a non-working configuration.

Hi Dennis,

that is just not true, but I must admit, configuration of OpenStack is a
more complex task.

OpenStack consists of a stack of applications providing several partly
overlapping services. So it might be the case, you tested one
application, but another part has been configured to provide a service.

>> The packages in F18 are roughly the same as those in EPEL, so the
>> recently-updated instructions here
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_OpenStack_EPEL
>> should basically apply.
>
> These are the instructions i followed. The problem is that this setup
> apparently relies on cinder and quantum and these services aren't
> configured properly.
>
> I was able to get cinder going by creating a cinder-volumes volume group
> and removing /etc/tgtd/conf.d/cinder.conf and putting an "include
> /etc/cinder/volumes/*" in /etc/tgt/targets.conf. After that creating a
> volume results in a status "available" rather than "error".

were you testing F18 or any RHEL build?

> I can't get quantum going though and without it instances can not be
> started. I tried installing the linuxbridge plugin and running
> quantum-node-setup but when I restart the quantum service I get this in the
> log:
> 2012-11-07 14:53:28  WARNING [quantum.api.extensions] extension flavor not
> supported by plugin
> <quantum.plugins.linuxbridge.lb_quantum_plugin.LinuxBridgePluginV2 object
> at 0x2e078d0>
>
> I can create, list and delete networks fine but I don't see any bridges
> coming up and launching instances fails.

How do you know, cinder is not working or bridges don't come up?

Instead of following the instructions given for EPEL, which don't really
apply in depth for f18, you should take a look at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2012-09-18_OpenStack

--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
                <mrunge at fedoraproject.org>