OpenStack status

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 08:04:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:58:10 -0700
Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:

> What's the fundamental difference between these scripts and devstack
> (http://www.devstack.org) - is it just that devstack normally pulls from
> the devel repositories? It looks like it can also be configured to pull
> from stable releases as well.

Difference is RPMs versus however stable upstream. We may have
patches in RPMs.

>  but I do wonder if that specific point
> deters people from trying devstack out with the Fedora configuration, or
> even stops people from looking more closely at Fedora's implementation
> in ways aside from doing so with Devstack.

I am sitting in a meeting and Russell is demoing devstack right this
moment. It seems to work great with Fedora.

Personally, I never use Devstack, because we have perfectly workable
RPMs in Fedora. Just "yum install openstack-foo" and voila it just
works. Devstack is for developers who want to have a very quick
cycle from git to service restart (it would not re-clone over your
changes for that reason). I know I should use it, but I just apply
my patch to /usr/lib/python2*/site-packages/....., then put it to git.
Then next version of "yum update" wipes my experiments.

-- Pete