Issues with devstack on both Fedora 17 and 18

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Fri Feb 8 14:35:24 UTC 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 02:23:07PM +0000, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
>> Tried this on the openstack-dev list, but didn't hear anything, thought I'd try the Fedora Cloud mailing list since this is Fedora specific.
>>
>> On both Fedora 17 and Fedora 18, when I use devstack, after a devstack run my D-Bus daemon has died such that systemctl no longer works. If I try to run systemctl, I see this:
>>
>> [kmestery at fedora-mac devstack]$ systemctl
>> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
>> [kmestery at fedora-mac devstack]$
>>
>> I've googled around for this, but haven't seen anything concrete.
>> Does anyone have any idea what might be happening, or where I
>> could look to understand why this is happening? A reboot of the
>> host fixes things, but another devstack run leaves the system in
>> the same state.
>
> I've never experianced this issue with DevStack / DBus on any F17
> or F18 system I've used. I guess it could be something peculiar to
> your particular devstack config - what is in your 'localrc' ?
>
> I successfully run devstack on F18/F17 using the following, on a
> regular basis
>
> $ cd $HOME/cloud/devstack
> $ cat localrc
> DEST=$HOME/src/cloud
> DATA_DIR=$DEST/data
>
> LOGFILE=$DATA_DIR/logs/stack.log
> SCREEN_LOGDIR=$DATA_DIR/logs
> VERBOSE=False
>
> disable_service rabbit
> enable_service qpid
> disable_service tempest
>
> # If i want to test spice instead of VNC
> #enable_service n-spice
> #disable_service n-novnc
> #disable_service n-xvnc
>
> # If I want to test quantum instead of nova-network
> #Q_PLUGIN=linuxbridge
> #Q_PLUGIN=openvswitch
> #disable_service n-net
> #enable_service q-svc
> #enable_service q-agt
> #enable_service q-dhcp
> #enable_service q-l3
> #enable_service q-meta
> #enable_service quantum
>
> MYSQL_PASSWORD=123456
> SERVICE_TOKEN=123456
> SERVICE_PASSWORD=123456
> ADMIN_PASSWORD=123456
>
> IMAGE_URLS="http://berrange.fedorapeople.org/images/2012-02-29/f16-x86_64-openstack-sda.qcow2,http://launchpad.net/cirros/trunk/0.3.0/+download/cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-uec.tar.gz"
>

> NB, this results in everything being checked out under $HOME/cloud/XXXXX
> and not /opt, because I don't like polluting /opt, and puts all devstack
> logs in $HOME/cloud/data/logs
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

My localrc looks like the below. Note I am storing things in /opt, and I am using
Quantum with the Ryu plugin as well. I was using rabbitmq, but switched to qpid
recently, though this fails the same way with either one.

[kmestery at fedora-mac devstack]$ cat localrc
LOGFILE=stack.sh.log
#OFFLINE=True
#RECLONE=yes
disable_service n-net
enable_service q-svc
enable_service q-agt
enable_service q-dhcp
enable_service q-l3
enable_service quantum
enable_service ryu
disable_service rabbit
enable_service qpid

HOST_NAME=$(hostname)
SERVICE_HOST_NAME=${HOST_NAME}
SERVICE_HOST=192.168.56.101

FLOATING_RANGE=192.168.100.0/24
#Q_PLUGIN=openvswitch
Q_PLUGIN=ryu
# ryu
RYU_API_HOST=$SERVICE_HOST
RYU_OFP_HOST=$SERVICE_HOST
RYU_APPS=ryu.app.gre_tunnel,ryu.app.quantum_adapter,ryu.app.rest,ryu.app.rest_conf_switch,ryu.app.rest_tunnel,ryu.app.tunnel_port_updater,ryu.app.rest_quantum
RYU_REPO=${GIT_BASE}/ykaneko/ryu.git
RYU_BRANCH=live-migration

Q_HOST=$SERVICE_HOST
MYSQL_HOST=$SERVICE_HOST