How the Fedora cloud images are made [was Re: Fedora 18 RC1 Amazon EC2 images available for testing]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 11 15:22:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:49:45PM +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> OK but what is the effort required to build my own? (it appears to
> be more difficult than just a ks build?).  And if I can roll my own,
> I presume I can upload it to my account in the Sydney region?

The kickstart comes from

  http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/cloud-kickstarts.git/tree/ec2

It's built (into a raw image) in Fedora's Koji build system using
appliance-creator, and then processed and uploaded to EC2 using scripts
from https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/browser/scripts/cloud.

That has a lot of Fedora-rel-eng-specific stuff, though. For building your
own, I think ami-creator is probably the easiest. See:
https://github.com/katzj/ami-creator.