Starting the Talking Points for F22

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Apr 7 18:27:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Michael P. McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb at znmeb.net>
>> Seriously, though, my sense after struggling with the existing Atomic
>> documentation is that it is a tool only for a very sophisticated class
>> of developer / operations people. So I'd take a look at the marketing
>> materials for RHEL's Atomic and talk about how one can use the Fedora
>> Atomic to do similar things.
>>

> It's not intended to be though I understand why you'd get that impression.
> Usability is something that could use some work.

It's not so much usability, it's a matter of the intended audience.
Most people do *not* have Google-scale or OpenShift-Online /
OpenShift-Enterprise-scale problems, and that's my impression of what
the "sweet spot" is for Atomic / Kubernetes. If you're developing for
that kind of operation, Atomic / Kubernetes have features / benefits /
advantages compared to other PaaS offerings, as I'm sure the RHEL
marketing team can show. I'm doing what I'm doing (Atomic under Client
Hyper-V on a laptop) because I want to reduce the number of vendors
down to Red Hat / Fedora and Microsoft. ;-)

While we're on the subject of talking points for "cloud", a big part
of that is 'fedora-dockerfiles'. That's a lot more interesting to
smaller-scale users like me, IMHO. See
https://fedorahosted.org/cloud/ticket/84.

For the curious, this is what I'm building -
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/znmeb/osjourno-devel/.
--
OSJourno: Robust Power Tools for Digital Journalists
http://www.znmeb.mobi/stories/osjourno-robust-power-tools-for-digital-journalists

Remember, if you're traveling to Bactria, Hump Day is Tuesday and Thursday.