Screen in F22 Atomic?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 17 17:30:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:19:13AM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Of course, I'd love to see the Python run-time disappear from
> "minimalist" systems too - you pretty much have to have 'gawk', 'sed'
> and one of the shells so your command line is Turing complete even
> without a "scripting language".

Yeah, we've talked about this. It's hard, since we've used it as the
system scripting language in Fedora for a long time. Notably, yum/dnf,
cloud-init, and firewalld (this last not included in the cloud image,
but there it is) use it. Additionally, there is a plan to port grubby,
the kernel update helper, to Python as the current C code is hard to
test and maintain.

For the container image, I think this is solvable by having yum/dnf run
externally to the managed container as a helper, and just plain not
needing cloud-init or grubby. For host images, I think the best
approach might be to make a minimal python package (possibly a parallel
one rather than splitting the existing one) with _just_ the modules
installed needed to run those programs. Right now, IDLE and 2to3 a
significant portion of the python-libs installed on every system.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>