/usr/bin/ps missing from fedora:22 docker base image

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 7 22:45:00 UTC 2015

Le 8 juil. 2015 00:22, "Joe Brockmeier" <jzb at redhat.com> a écrit :

> On 07/07/2015 05:25 PM, Haïkel wrote:
> > Looks like a bad idea, you don't need it in a container.
>
> That may be, but doesn't really answer the question of how it was
> decided that it be dropped. If it's an incidental/accidental thing, we
> should have a discussion of whether there's general agreement on this
> assertion.

Longer answer:

I was not closing the discussion as it's something that will be decided by
the group. but having ps in a container means that we're treating it as a
virtual machine.
That's a huge change of the paradigm and not something we should encourage.

Moreover,  the use case mentioned is not supported: PS is here used to
retrieve process PID in a SysV init scripts, something we're supposed not
to support anymore.
It may hide another issue but putting back ps is not the right thing to do.
Smarter effort would be making ps container-aware on the host if you need
advanced process management.

That's definitely not consistent with the Atomic host story, too.

Again, this is just my opinion.

H.