Fedora Cloud website ideas?

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 13:16:33 UTC 2015

Hi :)

Since Atomic will be the primary focus of this WG (F24+,) the
presentation of the Atomic and cloud images on the main Fedora website
should be updated to reflect that. (See [1] and [2].)

Last week, Matthew and I talked about how we might do this; the idea we
thought might work best is the following:

--

- Consider replacing the “Cloud” edition slot on the front of
getfedora.org with a Fedora “Atomic” edition brand.

- Convert getfedora.org/cloud to focus instead solely on Atomic (maybe
redoing the URL to getfedora.org/atomic.

- Build out a separate cloud image resource site (similar to
arm.fedoraproject.org, which is focused on all ARM-related builds across
Fedora) with the full set of Cloud Base images (and maybe Fedora Docker
containers too?) Then, pull these in to the Atomic edition site via a
link in the “Other Downloads” section. (cross link back to atomic from
cloud.fpo too.)

--

I find it hard to understand if something like this might work without
visuals, so I put together a (very, super-duper, fantastically rough)

https://github.com/fedoradesign/fedora-spins/blob/master/cloud/cloud-mockup_front-page.png

I pretty much just threw it into the arm.fpo template; it's quite a bit
more cluttered in terms of instructions / explanation needed for various
image types than arm.fpo, so I think the layout should be reconfigured
quite a bit to get rid of the cluttered feel.

That being said -

- Do you think a site like this for the base cloud images would work
well, given enough prominence on the main Fedora website as well as the
Atomic product site? Is this the kind of list of images/AMIs a cloud
image user is going to find most helpful?

- Should the docker image live on here? Or would that be better served
by a more generic 'other images' site for Fedora images?

- Is the installable image a cloud base image or an atomic image? Who
would use it and why? Does it belong here as well?

~m

[1]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/cloud/2015-September/005832.html

[2] http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2015/09/15/fedora-atomic-logo-idea/