Mo's proposed fedora atomic logo

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 16 13:49:07 UTC 2015

> I think we're over-estimating where users are in the "magic bi-modal IT
> devops agile transformation quadrant" (which I hear Gartner is calling it
> now).
>
> I think there's a fairly close mapping from where users are in the adoption
> cycle to what page they need to get to.
>
> Early adopters -> Atomic
> Early majority -> Cloud/Server
> Late majority/long tail -> Server/Workstation

Nope, we currently agree on that part, I've even said the same thing
in a pv yesterday :)

> There's your early adopters are already all about containers and know they
> want Atomic, and they'll go get it. We don't even really need to highlight
> it very much, just mention "Atomic is a cloud thing for containers" and
> they'll be all over it.

No, they want containers and containers-oriented systems but they're
not aware of the existence of Atomic.
Hence the decision to make Atomic primary, we want to raise awareness
around the project.

Currently, people are all getting giddy around CoreOS which has
developed interesting components but overall story is quite weak.

> The early majority has some stuff in the cloud already, and probably still
> have some "pets" either on real hardware or long-lived VMs. They might look
> at Atomic to evaluate it, but are likely still going to have Cloud or Server
> as their bread and butter. Highlighting atomic from the cloud page and the
> main getfedora.org would help us get these users into Atomic.
>
> The "early majority" will still have the Cloud/Server products as their main
> consumption for quite some time, and even if we think containers are where
> the cloud is going, there aren't going to be loads of users there for a
> while.

I agree about traditional cloud images but regarding Fedora Cloud, our
adoption rate is still low compared to other images.
If we start giving off the signal that Fedora Cloud is getting less
maintained while it's the contrary, we'll be ruining our efforts
there. Kushal, Mike and others did an excellent work on Fedora Classic
Cloud and the effort will be maintained at the same level or even
better.
Primary is Atomic, but Classic will still maintained for some time and
at the same level than currently. That's the message.

> I'm not sure that transferring the cloud image over to the Server WG makes
> much sense, since the Cloud WG has the expertise and infra to maintain it
> already.

Well, we're pretty far for even considering this but I see it as
possible in the future.
During Flock Prague, people took me for a fool when I asked Fesco if
we could imagine that one day, Fedora could switch to the Atomic model
rather than the traditional package one.
When I look at the work in progress about desktop app containers,
we're not that far from making it happen in a few years.

H.