Fedora Code of Conduct Discussion

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Dec 7 17:17:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:43:24 +0000
Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

...snip...

> If we agree on the need for a code then we need to discuss
> enforcement. I don't see the benefit of worrying about our
> enforcement strategy unless we decide that a code is beneficial.

Just to throw out my thoughts on enforcment:

I think the CWG should act as a sounding board, mediator, and helper to
existing moderators or enforcement methods.

ie, If we see or are notified of a poor community interaction on a
mailing list, we get someone to publicly reply to the person with the
correct/friendly community answer, and ask the moderator of the list to
mail any people doing poorly and ask them to try harder. If that
doesn't work, we should work with the moderator of the list to do any
further actions.

> >    Frankly, I'm not sure that we've really *had* any situations
> > that were so dire that they required any sort of serious
> > intervention.  And that makes me wonder if we really need one at
> > all.
>
> I regularly see situations in our community that are outside the
> realm of reasonable behaviour, and I think this reduces our ability
> to market ourselves as a welcoming community. We're certainly not as
> bad as Debian, but we're nowhere near as well-behaved as the core of
> Ubuntu.

(I can't speak to this, as I don't spend any time in those
communities). Perhaps a list of these types (or specific incidents) to
our private list would help us craft a COC or some enforcement methods
that would work to combat them?

kevin