[Design-team] Fedora Design Spin

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:44:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:03:55AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 08/04/2009 10:18 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> > I'm not very much up to date with this... What has happened to the Art
> > Studio spin (or whatever it was called) we were trying to make? I've
> > just seen a message on desktop-list proposing dropping gimp from Desktop
> > Spin (the infamous size issues), so it would probably make sense to
> > resurrect the idea of having a spin for (not only) Fedora designers with
> > all the apps we use, like gimp, inkscape, blender, scribus, etc.
> > possibly with also useful content like templates, brushes, etc.
>
> I lost faith in the Desktop Live CD for quite a while, what is good a CD
> with no useful applications on it? (and that is the disc we are supposed
> to handle to people at various events to spread Fedora). So reviving the
> Art Studio spin may be a good thing to do.

Let's be kind to people producing that spin, which is quite useful for
general productivity desktop users.  I'm certain the Desktop SIG would
agree that there are improvements to be made, but when I was caught in
a pinch recently I was able to do a day's work pretty successfully
from a Live CD.  On the other hand, I'm not an artist or designer; the
use case makes a big difference!

> As far as I know, the spin is on hold, waiting for someone to take
> the lead.

It's not terribly hard to do spins, so if anyone's looking to try a
semi-technical project this is a great one to invest time in.  FWIW,
I'm happy to give tech assistance to the extent I can help.