[Design-team] About the Fedora Art Studio Spin

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Aug 11 12:26:40 UTC 2009

On 08/11/2009 03:04 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Well, and would be the target of the spin?
>
> Yep, it does not need to be named after our team, but 'design' covers
> wider audience are than just 'art', although it's still probably a
> little limited. Really, depending on the audience we'll target it at, we
> might want to have
>        * good support for devices like scanners, printers, cameras, wacom
>          tablets, ...

I think this is expected as a default for a desktop spin

>        * graphics editors (gimp, inkscape, ...)

sure

>        * photo management tools

Well, for design is very likely you must acquire a photo somehow and use
it as a starting element in the design process (be it photo manipulation
or vectorization).

>        * decent audio software (recording, editing)
>        * decent video software (      --||--      , screen-casting)

Also can go hand-in-hand with the design process: for example you create
a screencast showing the process to create some graphics.

>        * burning software (to burn your audio CDs, videos, photos)

A given in a decent desktop spin.

>        * desktop publishing/typesetting software (inkscape, scribus, OOo,
>          TeX, ...)
>        * web-design related software (partly overlaps with graphics
>          editors)

Closely related to the design part: you don't create/edit graphics only
for the sake of working with them, but to use further on print or web.

>        * other multimedia management
>        * various utilities like ImageMagick

For me ImageMagick is a valuable tool for photo management.

>        * content (brushes, wallpapers, showcase window/widget themes,
>          templates, showcase icon themes, palettes, clip-art, ...)

...fonts, maybe stock photos, etc.
Indeed, useful to have handy

> If we included most of this list, the best name would probably be
> something like Fedora Creativity Spin XD

Which does sound like a legit name/target. "Design" sounds a bit
restrictive, but probably "Creativity" or "Art Studio" are more
encompassing.