[Design-team] First Design Suite Build

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 11:15:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 12:08 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 11:22 AM, Mel Chua wrote:
> >
> > I'd promised to help out a bit with marketing for this, so the first
> > step was to create a page that we can build into this project's home.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite
> >
> > It's not ready for widespread "USE THIS!" PR yet, and won't be for some
> > time - but we still need a place where folks who want to contribute can
> > go and find out what's going on. So that's what this is right now.
>
> I think before significant marketing we should clarify the vision and
> the target, go beyond the generic "professional designers". I bet even
> us, inside the Design Team, have various expectations from a "perfect" spin.

To throw something in:
      * target 1: showcase of design team work (perhaps customise the
        looks of the spin, add more wallpapers, include echo icons?)
      * target 2: typesetting -- fonts, inkscape, TeX, color profiles
        are IMHO a must
      * target 3: general art/design work -- gimp, inkscape, color
        profiles, brushes, perhaps our echo-artist helper scripts, ...
      * target 4: video editing -- something for screencasting,
        something to grab raw video from video camera, pitivi or kino or
        something like that for cutting, perhaps an app for sound
        editing/recording, include dirac/schrodinger codec (I think
        theora, vorbis, flac, etc. are already in), perhaps some app for
        subtitling (I'm maintaining subtitleeditor myself, but there are
        more)
      * target 5: desktop publishing -- OpenOffice.org + templates,
        scribus

And of course customised bookmarks.

Martin