[Design-team] First Design Suite Build

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Dec 22 12:35:49 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 12:29 PM, Mel Chua wrote:

> Looking again at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#Upcoming_milestones, we
> should probably set a date by which everything that wants to be
> considered for inclusion in the kickstart file to be packaged, and then
> another to freeze the kickstart's package list (after testing those
> packages).

I strongly believe in the "release early, release often" process, so the
first version of the spin does not have to be perfect, it can be just
the Desktop Spin with a handful of applications added. Then we can
add/remove/refine stuff.
And I don't think we will package stuff solely for this spin, the
packages will go in the large Fedora repository and we will make a
selection from there.

Anyway, we can't have a list of packages before we don't know exactly
which type of packages we want to have.

> It looks like the Design Studio will bring up some interesting questions
> while it's being made - things like "what's the line between content and
> software?" (do brushes count, etc) and how should the various things
> (whatever they are) we want be delivered via the Design Suite?
> (packages? webpages? packages of bookmarks to webpages? packages of
> sampe content?) So it's a good idea to leave plenty of time for those
> conversations and questions to be resolved.

Not only sample content, but also stock: we have already packaged
clipart images from openclipart.org (the package is very old but this is
a different and long story), in a similar way we can add stock
photography or stock sounds (only the size is a limit - it may be
replaced with bookmarks for websites).

> Yep. My current working definition for open source marketing is that
> it's much more than "just" PR - it's "the community-driven process
> responsible for enabling users to identify, anticipate, and satisfy
> their own requirements sustainably[0]" so the "identify" part is what
> I'm thinking about right now, and what I'm here in Design to learn. ;)
>
> /me drops back to watch the process of designers designing something for
> themselves. Yay, meta!

Honestly, if I would be designing a spin for myself, the result would be
total chaos :D If you look at my desk, everything look like a mess.