[Design-team] Mosaic Ideas

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Mon Jul 6 02:53:18 UTC 2009

Hi María!

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 13:57 +1930, María Leandro wrote:
> Hello again :D
>
> I have been working on some ideas for a mosaic theme. This is just
> like a background test; I'll like some landscape on this but I need
> more time :S.  Also I'll like to know if I can put the mosaics as an
> idea for the F12 theme. (I just like use mosaics with the bubble and
> squares :$ ) I think is the most important.
>
> Well, more links:
>
> http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-LATAM/wallpaper-mosaico.png
> http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-LATAM/wallpaper-mosaico1.png
> http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-LATAM/wallpaper-mosaico2.png
> http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-LATAM/wallpaper-mosaico3.png

Thanks for the work! I think posting these really helps to keep up the
momentum on the f12 design work.

Like Luya said, we shouldn't use the Fedora logo, but this one works
great and does not have the logo:

http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-LATAM/wallpaper-mosaico2.png

I think these works are a very good start start; I think the shading and
coloring on mosaico2 is very suitable for a background. It's not too
high-contrast, or stark, or distracting which is good for a wallpaper.
To push the design further, here are some suggestions I have for you,
take them or leave them!:

- maybe try for the design to be 'higher resolution' - e.g., make the
tiles smaller and have more of them, see how far you can push it without
making it distracting to see if it will work.

- maybe try to screen some of the four f's designs (the gears, the
people, the trophy, the wings) onto some of the square tiles) ? See if
that works.

The thing is, these suggestions do complicate the design a bit. It is
very simple now, which is good, but I feel maybe a little too simple.
These suggestions could add a bit more detail to it, but I wouldn't take
them to the point that makes the design too complex for the wallpaper.
It's a delicate balance for sure!