[Design-team] Constantine

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:03:23 UTC 2009

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 08:09:37PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 17:46 -0500, Michael Beckwith wrote:
> > Keep in mind everyone that just because the codename is "Constantine"
> > doesn't mean that we HAVE to include the guy in the theme somehow. We
> > can go off on some inspiration derived from reading about him and
> > whatnot and just make sure the tie in is there.
>
> - The natural/impermanent/imperfect vs. technology/permanent/perfect -
> building on the above theme... Yeats makes reference to Byzantine
> Emperor Theophilos' singing mechanical golden birds (he also had
> mechanical golden lions as well, hmmm... :) ) I feel like themes that
> deal with technology vs nature usually pose technology in the 'bad guy'
> light and nature in the 'good guy' light, so it might be interesting to
> send a message that poses technology (Fedora) as an ally of nature (the
> people using Fedora) to make it better (to improve Fedora users' lives).
> Visually this could maybe take a steampunk bird form hehe.

Or vines, or any of a number of other natural themes, perhaps with the
mosaic introduced in a sort of "man-made turns into nature-made"
design?  I really liked this idea.

> - Unity/Coming together to make something great - and could quite easily
> be communicated with the golden mosaic designs already being discussed -
> alone one tile is nothing special, but the tiles together can make a
> beautiful piece of art. Along similar lines, Constantinople itself was a
> trading center where many cultures intersected.

I like this idea too, and maybe there's a cross over with the whole
"vines" thing.  I don't know why vines occurred to me, for that
matter.  But the idea of them crossing and interleaving, like strands
or weavings, somehow has become commingled in my brain with the idea
of the mosaic.