[Design-team] idea for fpo

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 7 01:34:32 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-06 06:00:01 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I just put this together for fun. I don't know if it's a good idea or
> feasible to redo our look & feel yet again. I do think our current
> site is a bit too sparse though. Anyway, here's my doodle:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Projects/fedoraproject.org/v3/ideas/idea1.png
Ooh, that looks very nice - I like the large tabs and your colors.  The
news and events feeds are a nice feature (we might want to be careful
with having the planet feed on the front page though) - we actually have
RSS reading functionality ready in the website build script, but the big
hurdle is figuring out how to get those translated.

Another thing that I'm a bit worried about is that the placement of the
banner night look a bit strange right next to the large banner on the
left side, especially if it's a small-sized banner that bumps up where
the side menu starts.  The other thing I'm a bit worried about is that
this kind of layout would probably have to be fixed (pixel) width, so it
might look a bit weird on super-wide or thin resolutions (or lead to
problems with super-wide tables and such).

From a CSS point of view, this layout would probably be a lot simpler
than what we have now, which is great.  Two things currently make our
layout pretty complex: the black gradients on the sides and the way that
the page expands to the full height of the viewport if there is not
enough content - these are both solved nicely with what you have.

Now I'm pretty curious as to what one of our web apps or the wiki would
look like with this theme :-)

Thanks,
Ricky