[Design-team] Building Brand Together

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 03:08:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 03:46:27PM +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> Hm... that's kinda long text... So what *I* think about branding?
>
> For us (meaning the Fedora Project) the brand should be Fedora (and by
> far not just the logo).

<snip>

> Now the real question is how much we really want to promote the Fedora
> brand compared to upstream brands like GNOME, KDE, LXDE, XFCE and so
> on... I am for as throughout Fedora branding as possible, but that's
> just my personal opinion.

FWIW, I read that article as saying, "Let's work together on resolving
this problem I just described."  There is a statement about making a
commitment to take what they give us *if we require them to do all the
work of making the art*.  I presume, if we choose to work _with_ them
including adding some efforts from our Fedora designers, then we don't
have to commit to taking the result of the work.

Personally, I found the argument interesting and compelling, at least
enough to say we could open a dialog with the KDE upstream designers
on this.  Maybe it turns out what they want will not work with
Fedora.  But maybe it does, and we can meet half-way or so, and get a
bit more of what we all want.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41