[Design-team] The Theme

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jun 22 07:17:41 UTC 2009

On 06/20/2009 01:27 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:12:24PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> We could handle the 4 broader-community readymades as a separate
>> project.
>
> Does this mean that there would be a fallback to some default theme or
> background if we miss the particular deadlines?  In other words, is
> the plan to build a safety net that is something other than the
> dreaded all-nighter(s)?

Even it this was not the intention behind it (the intention is to cover
the needs/tastes of a larger user base), yes, it can work like this: if
at the last moment we find the "default" wallpaper is not good enough as
a default, we can switch it with one of the 4.

However, those 4 will probably not fill the bill for the default
(abstract, vector, themed), since we will encourage people to go crazy
for the alternatives.

>>>        * be stricter about deadlines
>>
>> +1
>
> I think this ticket review process would really help -- there are no
> surprises for anyone.  And if something falls on the floor for lack of
> attention, then it's fair to simply let it do so.  And having a
> fallback means that there's no catastrophe, and no one's held hostage
> to unreasonable expectations.

Hope we will get to talk more about it at FUDCon, but here is my latest
idea: run the new wallpaper system as an official feature for F12 (the
feature is not the wallpaper, but the process), this will help us get
better exposure (and maybe more contributors) and also make us more
strict with the deadlines.