[Design-team] design for Fedora Summer Coding 2010

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 19:09:09 UTC 2010

Hopefully you have heard by now that we are doing our own summer
coding program starting this year. ;-)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010

Is anyone interested in working on design for this?

One exciting challenge is that we are focusing on coding this summer,
but there is interest in non-coding programs -- design and
documentation and l10n -- sort of a summer of content.  Any design
work now should think about that future.

We also want to run again during summer in the Southern Hemisphere
(Sep to Feb), so it might be an ongoing program, with one run every
six months.

Ideas we've had so far include:

* A logo
* Program-specific website (built on current www.fp.org framework)
  * e.g. summercoding.fedoraproject.org
* Posters for school campuses.
* T-shirts for participants (mentors, students, etc.)

I filed a main tracking ticket just in case.[1] If folks are
interested in this work, we can make individual tickets for each
item.  (Right plan?)

You may know that Google does a whole design theme every year, and we
can adopt that platform.  Other programs doing a similar thing are
building on Google's past work:

http://rubysoc.org

Let us know what you think.

Cheers - Karsten