[Design-team] Allegheny College, Testing the Fedora 13 Design Spin

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Apr 16 05:47:39 UTC 2010

On 04/15/2010 10:05 PM, Annamarie Morino wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Annie

> My name is Annie Morino, and I am one of 42 students from Allegheny
> College testing Fedora 13. My group is specifically working with the
> design spin. We have been asked to help Fedora create a website
> explaining the best parts of Fedora 13's design spin. To do this, we
> have been exploring the spin, and taking notes on the difficulty and the
> interesting programs. I have posted my findings on my fas account wiki
> home page.
>
> Would someone please take a look and tell me what they think? And maybe
> they could also tell me what to experiment with next based on my
> discoveries today.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Morinoa

I appreciate your candid feedback which at times is kind of a brutal
cold shower telling how people from the outside see us.

I won't comment much on the Evolution part, since I am not using it (I'm
sticking with Thunderbird) and we have people from the Desktop team here
which can answer better, I just hope that warning will be gone until we
reach the final release (you used beta or pre-beta software). Evolution
is the default main client on the Desktop spin, so we are inheriting it
as a default, as the Design spin is intended for desktop usage.

Agave is a nice little apps that I (and some other people around here)
are linking a lot. But I can see how it can be confusing for someone not
knowing about it: it allows to create color palettes which can be used
later in GIMP, Inkscape and some other apps. It is not developed by us,
but is an "upstream" project: http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/

Now to your suggestions:

That would be a glossary of terms used in Linux, Windows and Mac (Fedora
is a flavor of Linux) and I am sure there must be one around somewhere
on the internet.

For the "computer lingo", would you find useful enough something like
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html ?

For reporting bugs I believe we had in the works some desktop app to
make it easier. For understanding the bugzilla language maybe it would
be useful to have  a simplified version of
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests (or do we already
have one?)

> I think that is the link. If not, please let me know, and maybe someone
> can walk me through which url to post.

Normally that is your personal page, where you can write a bit about
yourself and help the other people in the team know you better. You can
have sup-pages of it for individual personal tasks, for example your
study could have been better hosted on a page like
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Morinoa/Desktop_Spin_Evaluation