[Design-team] Advice Request - GTK+ theming

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Mon Apr 19 21:47:42 UTC 2010

Kris,

 don't take me wrong, if I had far more time and some more knowledge on
this field, I would for sure embrace it. Since 2004 I don't produce a
line o code for whatever purpose.

 I do love Radiance and Equinox (after most likely comes Aurora). This
is something just to be different. Depending on this hack goes, maybe in
the future we can look into that with more time. For me, right now it's
just a hack.

 My skills with open source tools are very poor... and most of my
previous contact with Linux was through remote consoles or RS232. This
is something new to me 8)

 Going in such a large project would for sure handicap me in other
fields where I need to stay focused.

 What I can suggest for this list and for your Team (mizmo and nicu feel
free to kick in about this) is through Fedora Marketing (in which I can
for sure help) launch a campaign for a new Fedora theme to all artists
that are across several communities around. Maybe approach those
communities with a good well though project and try to get people
enrolled. I understand most people are running tight schedules, but
could be something to do after F13 release in the scope of F14.

 That I can help with in the future for sure. I can make myself
available also for packaging a given number of themes or engines if
required for the design team, as I am aware that packaging is one area
were we could all use some extra help.

 As for going solo on new theme... from the coding part (with time and
some trial/error experiences) could eventually pull something, but from
the artwork point of view, I don't see myself as a very creative person
or skilled with the mainstream tools for FOSS. So possibly the most
important part of the theme would go :(

 I'll go hack a bit Clearlooks and Fedora GTK/Metacity themes to get
some concepts like colors used for bars, mouse over, pressed, effects,
etc and see if I can collect there enough data.

 On a personal level I'm thinking on inserting maybe a couple of slick
silver lines, but because, I like silver 8)

 I'll blog it once it's done, so should pop out in planet.

 Either way, thanks all.

nm