[Design-team] F13 crufty icon purge

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 23 13:34:01 UTC 2010

Hi Jóhann,

I think you've made some assumptions here that aren't quite true. The
design team is not organized and fully-staffed by folks who have lots of
time to work on it, and that there really isn't a solid plan (beyond the
release artwork, which effects all spins) or official resource
allocation and policies in place that govern the team.

Nope, there really isn't. So I'd like to humbly request that you open
your mind for a bit while reading my responses below, because I know
with a name like 'design team' it seems like the design team is a formal
and disciplined entity when it in reality it simply is not.

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 10:57 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> This proposal seems to be extremely Gnome desktop only targeted.

That's our default spin. I would like to make a good impression on the
greatest number of users with our limited resources, and I believe we
can reach the greatest number of users by targeting the default download
of Fedora.

> What about all the other ( desktop ) spins out there?

We apparently don't have enough artists with time to put together
artwork that affect the entire distro, eg for the installer, so I'm not
very hopeful we have the resources to polish every single spin.

It seems quite a sound plan to me personally, though, for folks to work
on the default spin of Fedora, as that is the most downloaded version
and the best chance we - a team with very limited time and resources -
have to make a good impression on the greatest number of users.

> What's Design teams policy regarding Fedora artwork on other spins?

There's no design team policy. Fedora policy generally states the spin
owners maintain their spin. When spin owners approach us for help (e.g.,
like when we put together over 100 images for the Games spin web page)
it may or may not be something we actually help with depending on
artists' availability and interests, just as with any other project that
comes into the design time.

> Are equal resource being spent between spins or is all resources
> available being focused only on the Gnome desktop?

I have no resources to allocate but my own. We're all individuals.

If you have any further commentary on the support or lack thereof of
spins in Fedora, I strongly suggest you take your concerns to the board,
as the design team list is really not the appropriate place.

Cheers,