[Design-team] F13 Rockets

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:05:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:28:34AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 02/01/2010 07:28 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> > I spent some time this weekend working on another iteration of the
> > Fedora rocket lines idea [1]. Tatica put together a 3D rocket in Blender
> > [2], so I used this rocket to make a new composition roughly based on
> > the rocket lines sketch:
> >
> > Do you have any ideas for improvement or how to work this more? I think
> > it may be too literal, and by default maybe we should take the rockets
> > and stars out or something and just work with the trails only for an
> > abstract pattern. Not sure though. What do you think? Critique
> > please! :)
>
> I see two problems with the design, probably both are solvable:
> - to me the rockets look pretty much like some big white blobs. I
> understand you had to make them white, since the 3D model looked pretty
> much like a rocket *toy*, but I think it should be also be simplified.
> Space rockets are not that big compared with their trails and their
> wings are definitely not that big.
> - the sky/space is a bit too dark and too plain and the white mist at
> the bottom is somewhat unrealistic. Maybe we can add some colors and
> make it not that dark.

I don't want to pile too many ideas into one piece of art.  But
there's something I really like about the "flying forward in space"
picture here:  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Fedorasky.jpg

(Yes, the logo is unwanted, understood!) :-)

I do like the idea of the stars providing that element of light that
we've used in other backgrounds.  And it seems dynamic with all that
motion, although I worry that maybe it's *too* much motion.

Could this be combined in any meaningful way with rocket trails?
("No" is an acceptable answer, you guys are the artists.) :-)