[Design-team] F13 Rockets

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Tue Feb 9 03:03:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 00:30 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 09:28 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > I see two problems with the design, probably both are solvable:
> > - to me the rockets look pretty much like some big white blobs. I
> > understand you had to make them white, since the 3D model looked pretty
> > much like a rocket *toy*, but I think it should be also be simplified.
> > Space rockets are not that big compared with their trails and their
> > wings are definitely not that big.
> > - the sky/space is a bit too dark and too plain and the white mist at
> > the bottom is somewhat unrealistic. Maybe we can add some colors and
> > make it not that dark.
>
> Okay, I really re-worked this puppy:
>
> - It's a lot more abstract. I pulled the rockets.
>
> - I used spiro splines to make the rocket trails
>
> - I did a lot of gimping to texturize and glow the wallpaper.
>
> Some inspiration I drew from:
>
> http://colorcharge.com/chroma/
>
> http://www.bartelme.at/journal/archive/flow_wallpaper/
>
> The concept behind this, is there's 3 different rockets that have flown
> in swirls and they're meeting together out in the distance of space.
>
> What do you think? I know it's dark but... it is space-y :)

More reworking - it's a bit more swirly / the rockets come together at a
more distinct point. Before they were about to come together but not
quite there.

I have a blue and a multi-color-neon-kinda version as well:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F13-concept-rocketskytrails2.jpg

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F13-concept-rocketskytrails3.png