[Design-team] Some more news on the Design Suite

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Feb 17 14:25:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:27:05 +0100,
  Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as space goes, something up to 1GB (not 1GiB!) would be perhaps
> best -- CD is too small and 1GB USB flash is the first bigger than that.
> Also I heard than lzma compression will be used in the future for
> compressing the spins, so we might actually gain some more free space.

That looks good, but not for F13 release. Maybe an update or for F14.
squashfs-tools should be there, but we also need 2.6.34 (which I can't
see happening for release) and a small change to livecd-creator.
For the games spin there is about a 10% savings when using lzma as compared
to zlib.
I am tracking the progress of this at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LZMA_for_Live_Images
There's a good chance it won't really be advertised as a feature, but I made
a feature proposal page for it just in case.