[Design-team] 06 Jul 2010 Design team meeting summary

Jakub Steiner jsteiner at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 14:51:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 14:50 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> > personally I don't consider this part necessary. Usually it is desirable
> > not to mess with the logotype (dilluting it by creating subbrands,
> > etc...). I don't see an immediate need to have the actual logotype set
> > in a Freely licensed font.
> >
> I don't think we want to mess with the logotype, but we'd like it to use
> font we can use without issues _anywhere else_, so ideally we'd switch
> the fedora logotype font to something FLOSS with good latin glyphs
> coverage. What we're doing now is matching the logotype font with some
> other that looks similar, which is suboptimal...
>
> Btw. welcome to Red Hat and Fedora :)

Thanks Martin!

I very much see the need to have a headline Fedora font which can be
freely distributed and improved. In fact, this need drove me to create
5th Leg* for openSUSE to replace the awesome Cholla which sadly didn't
have a very permissive license.

But just like openSUSE didn't have to have the actual logo recreated
based on the new type, I don't think Fedora needs to do so either.

I really hope Johan will be willing to relicense Comfortaa, it would be
quite a time saver. I would love to work on making this work better as a
screen font as well (in terms of weight/spacing, not hinting). Fedora
would benefit for having this used as a default WM font.

* http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=555
--
Jakub Steiner <jsteiner at redhat.com>
http://jimmac.musichall.cz