[Design-team] FYI: Moblin spin has been replaced by the MeeGo spin

Jakub Steiner jsteiner at redhat.com
Mon Jul 12 12:07:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 12:43 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I think the Meego spin will be similar to the Moblin spin but their could
> be some other notable differences besides the name change.

Hi.

There's one key change wrt artwork in Meego as opposed to Moblin -- the
icon theme is no longer available under the CCBYSA3. Sadly I cannot
elaborate on that decision. I propose using the theme I initially made
for openSUSE Moblin as a base for our packages.

http://repo.or.cz/w/moblin-icon-theme.git/tree/one-size (one-size
branch, CCBYSA3)

Apart from having a slightly better coverage for the launchers, it also
uses a template that makes the launchers look closer to the Tango styled
icons*. This way unthemed apps don't look _completely_ out of place,
only a little ;)

The gtk theme/engine is still LGPL. There's no issue with the license of
the cursor theme, but I think we would be better off with
http://repo.or.cz/w/moblin-cursor-theme.git (derived from my DMZ theme).
It's not drastically different, but the cursors come in multiple sizes
and the default pointer shape is more refined (in my, rather biased,
opinion).

cheers

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakubsteiner/3898173240/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakubsteiner/3897024619/